From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:42:48 PST
Iain Simons wrote of a recent release featuring Bell/Salonen:

>I noticed my wife purchased it a couple of weeks ago.

When I read a statement like the above, I start wondering what my
domestic life would be like if my wife loved classical music and bought
recordings frequently.  On the surface it sounds ideal; two lovers
listening together to great music and sharing their thoughts about the
recordings/performances.  Below the surface, it sounds like a nightmare.
My wife has very different tastes in music than I do; she would be
competing with me for audio equipment time, and even worse, she would
likely start messing with my audio controls.  Whenever she drives my car,
she changes the angles of all the mirrors and the driver's seat setting.
Yes, she would definitely change those audio control buttons.

The final chapter of this little fantasy would be a headline in the local
newspaper - "Man Slays Wife For Tampering With Audio Controls".  I don't
think I'd get a sympathetic hearing at my trial, and I'd have to pay for
the funeral as well.  So, I'll stick with what I have: a great spouse who
doesn't place much priority on music.

Don Satz