From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:24:59 +0000
Steve Schwartz writes:

>I agree with Roger to the extent that HIP is now so established, that
>other approaches are are crowded out.  I'd love to hear a subset of,
>say, the Cleveland Orchestra or the Czech Phil do the Brandenburgs or
>Handel's op. 6.

Those would be performances I would never shell out money to hear.

>I'm neither for nor against HIP.  I simply want the music to knock my
>socks off.  That can be done many ways, with or without string vibrato.

For me, baroque music with string vibrato is pure evil.  And let's not
forget that God doesn't use vibrato when he's playing stringed instruments
or singing a tune.  Yes, that's a fact, but don't expect any evidence
to be forthcoming.

I do agree with Steve that liking the HIP appraoch mainly due to historical
accuracy has little to recommend it.  Before I heard any period instrument
performances of baroque music, I was not satisfied.  With the advent of
HIP, the music took on a new life for me and was illuminating.  Accuracy
had nothing to do with my conclusions.

Having said the above, there are some old-fashioned baroque recordings
I do own and play regularly such as Klemperer's St. Matthew Passion.
As for Raymond Leppard, he's always been one of my favorite conductors,
his Mozart Great Mass in C minor and Violin Concertos (w/Lin) being at
the top of my list.

Don Satz