From:
"William J. Karzas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:07:13 -0700
Aaron Rabushka asked:

>Does anybody know which halls housed the premiers of Beethoven's symphonies
>#1, #3 (first public performance), and #4? Robbins Landon doesn't mention
>them in the article of his that I have, and I haven't found them on any web
>page.  Thanks.

Source: The New Grove Bethoven:

Symphony #1: Burgtheater, Vienna - 2 April 1800
Symphony #3: not given  - 7 April 1805
Symphony #4: Palace of Prince Lobkowitz - March 1807

Regards,

Bill Karzas                     [log in to unmask]

 [Barry Cooper's Beethoven Compendium gives some additional data.  Cooper
 agrees on the date of the premiere of the first, and reproduces the
 concert announcement, which gives the location as the "Royal Imperial
 Court Theatre beside the Burg", which is, presumably, the Burgtheater.
 Cooper also agrees on the date of the premiere of the third.  That
 premiere was given at benefit concert for Beethoven's violinist friend,
 Franz Clement.  I don't have any sources that give the location of this
 benefit concert.  There seems to be some confusion surrounding the
 fourth symphony.  A concert was given by Prince Lichnowsky on March 8
 at which the Coriolan Overture was premiered, and there's some evidence
 that the fourth symphony may have been played that night as well.  In
 any case, we know from Beethoven's diary that there were two concerts
 during the month of March (one of which may have been the March 8
 concert), both at the home of "Prince L" according to Beethoven's notes.
 Early biographers disagree whether this refers to Lobkowitz or Lichnowsky,
 but it is known that the first four symphonies, the fourth piano
 concerto, the Coriolan overture, and some arias from Leonore were
 performed during these March concerts.  -Dave]