From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 20:42:19 -0500
Norman Schwartz writes in response to me:

>>...for me, nos. 17 thru 24 are my favorite piano concertos of any time
>>period.....
>
>Can LvB' 3-5 be overlooked?

Sorry.  I didn't intend to overlook Beethoven's 3-5 or any other fine piano
concertos.  I just tend to think of Mozart's 17-24 as the sub-cycle I most
prefer.  Thinking about it now, I suppose it does seem odd to prefer eight
concertos by Mozart over any others.

>The Mozart and Beethoven PC satisfy different needs required at different
>times!

I can't argue with that.

>Can there really be such a thing as "favorite piano concertos of any
>time period" for any listener ALL THE TIME?

Well, I didn't say anything about "ALL THE TIME".  There are plenty of
times when I reach for a Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, etc.  piano
concerto disc instead of one by Mozart.  But, overall, I most reach
for Mozart.  I must admit that over the past year or so, I haven't done
much reaching for any piano concertos, although I did spend substantial
listening time when reviewing a Goode Mozart piano concerto disc and a
few versions of Chopin's piano concertos.

Don Satz