From:
Clement Lo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:38:00 +1000
I bought a recording of the Brahms 1st Piano Concerto with Rubinstein
(Mehta and the Israel Phil) and found in the program notes that Rubinstein
had written in his autobiography that this recording was his best attempt
(compared to the 1954 with Reiner and 1964 with Lensdorf).  I found it
a great musical experience but technically there were plenty of holes in
it.  I know the Brahms is one of the most difficult concertos, one of the
longest, and for a man of 89 recording this monster is really incredible.
Could someone tell me if the 1954 or 1964 recordings are better musically
than the last one?

Regards,

Clement