From:
William Jenks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:59:17 -0500
Our Esteemed Leader Dave Lampson wrote eloquently in reply to Jan
Johanning, defending/supporting his unfavorable opinion of the Kronos.
I had earlier said I generally liked Kronos, but didn't think much of
their Hendrix cover.

I'm certainly unqualified to judge the "excellence" of a string quartet.
So I looked at what Gramophone on-line had to say about Kronos.  This was
not in any way an "appeal to authority" to argue against Dave - I just
wanted to see what other informed folks had to say.  Some of the criticisms
about gimmicky repertoire he (and others) made were echoed, but there are
also many remarks about the high quality of the ensemble in general.
Perhaps, given their style, it's reasonable that opinion is mixed.

I listen to Kronos with different expectations than my "more traditional"
CM disks...  just as I have yet different expectations when I listen to my
rock collection or the few jazz disks I have.  My two current favorite
Kronos disks are "Short Stories" and "Pieces of Africa."  I suppose they
might be considered among the more accessible, and the latter certainly
"crossover."  I saw Kronos live a couple of years ago here in Iowa.
Frankly, it was probably the most *fun* concert I've been to in 10 years
(CM or rock).  I don't think Dave would begrudge me that, even if he thinks
my taste is pedestrian.:-)  [I don't begrudge anybody having fun doing damn
near anything.  -Dave]

I close with a request for Dave or others so inclined.  Please recommend a
few "essential" 20th century chamber works and a recording or two of each.
I'd be interested in sampling what he and others think of as truly
excellent modern stuff.

William Jenks