From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 12:30:09 +0100
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>So the rest of us had to play Haydn seek, which is a very pleasant pastime.
>My personal favorite is the Symphony 102 slow movement, followed closely by
>any movement from any quartet, and any movement from the Nelson Mass.

Actually I found the "missa in tempori belli" vastly superiour to the
Nelson mass.  The war mass is composed with a very intriguing method.
Imagine Haydns mass is composed in bricks 1,2,3,4,5,6, and then Haydn
could have juggled those like a puzzle, so the combination might have been
2,5,3,6,4,1 or 3,2,6,1,5,4, and they had fit in each other as well.  Of
course the "right" combination is 1,2,3,4,5,6 only because this is the way
the text is set into.  I can hardly think of Haydn as that harmless "papa
Haydn" as he used to be called, when I think of works like this one.  And
I wonder if any others might know about works with a similar composition
technique.

Mats Norrman