From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 04:11:33 -0600
Karl Miller:

>There is a wealth of music, but if you believe as I do that broadcasting
>educates as much, if not more than formal education, there needs to be
>a place for broadcasting that challenges the public.

OK then.  A few years ago when I wanted to present choral music to the
public, and to perform the works that I thought were worthy and needed
to be heard, I put together my own professional chamber choir and scrounged
up the money to pay them.  Last weekend we presented two stunning (if I
may say so myself) concerts of very stimulating and interesting music
to a sum total of 55 people.  Am I frustrated?  Yes. Do I wish I had had
500 people come?  Yes.  Am I going to quit scrounging for money to give
these concerts?  NO.

You want classical music to be on the radio.  So do I.  NPR is not
satisfying any of us in this regard, obviously, or this discussion would
have ended a dozen posts ago.  So, Karl, how about you apply for a grant
or two to start a community radio station in your area.  Broadcast all
the music that you think is worthy, and that the public, clamouring for
an education, needs to hear.

I am an experienced radio broadcaster, having hosted and produced
classical programs for Dallas commmercial classical station WRR 101.1
FM for nearly three years now.  If you take the initiative to start a
community radio station that will enlighten and educate the public, and
provide them with the exposure to new music and the classics that most
of us on this list agree is necessary and vital to a healthy society,
I pledge to contribute 10 hours a month of ready to play, produced and
edited programming for your station, absolutely free of charge for three
years as my contribution to the commuity good.

Let's see if we can do something about a situation that we all agree is
less than stellar instead of typing gripe messages about the ignorance
of the world.  And just so Dr.  Chasan will have more fuel to zap me for
a cliche; It's better to light one candle than to sit still and curse
the darkness.  I offer my services.  Let's see if anyone here is willing
to put in the time and effort that it takes to make the world a better
place.

Gauntlet thrown.

Kevin