From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:57:42 -0700
Don Satz, on getting through one's collection:

>Here's a typical scenario for a frequent buyer:  get an average of one
>disc per day,

Wow.

>and listen to your music selections, without any interruptions or
>distractions, at least 5 hours a day.

Wow again.  That's a TON of time.  I feel lucky if I get an hour a day.
I'm starting to understand why many listers have given up altogether on
pop.  (Why waste time sorting through crappy rock 'n' roll to find a few
gems? Well...) I do listen to music all day at work, but as Don says,
working is [can be] somewhat (to very) distracting and detrimental to
listening.

Here's Don on that subject:

>I emphasize that the exact time spent listening is not the crucial
>determining factor; it's the total time spent in full concentration
>of the music.

Agreed.  I guess I have a hard time acquiring a mess of music at once,
then listening to all of it.  Find a favorite, play it for a coupla days,
and I've eschewed 3-4 other CDs as a result.  I'd guess I have many many
pieces I've never even opened.  But I'll get there.

Bob K.