From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:06:21 -0500
Robert Peters wrote:

>Walter Meyer translated Nietzsche:
>
>>Wie wenig gehort zum Glucke! Der Ton eines Dudelsacks. - Ohne Musik
>>ware das Leben ein Irrthum. Der Deutsche denkt sich selbst Gott
>>liedersingend.
>>
>>(How little is needed for happiness!  The sound of a bagpipe
>>[sic].--Without music, life would be a mistake.  The German who sings
>>songs considers himself God.)
>
>What an interesting mistranslation with the last sentence!  (I don't want
>to criticize Walter, I like and enjoy his posts, and the German original
>can be read as being ambivalent!)

As Robert and some others have noted, that sentence is susceptible of
several translations, i.e., ambivalent.  I'm not sure which is the meaning
Nietzsche had in mind; I don't think he offered an English version of his
own.  I didn't have Kaufman's translation before me when I sent off my post
and simply wrote my translation as I understood the text...rightly or
otherwise.

"God respects me when I work, but He loves me when I sing." --Rabindranath
Tagore

Walter Meyer