From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:39:59 GMT
A few months ago, I bought a Naxos recording of Britten's Serenade for
tenor, horn and strings, Op. 31, Naxos 8.553834: Adrian Thompson, Tenor;
Michael Thompson, Horn;  Bournemouth Sinfonietta;  David Lloyd-Jones.  I've
listened to it seveal times and I don't really like it.  I feel that the
tenor's singing is a little over the top. It sounds like he's shouting.
I am not sure if it is the recording or the fact that I don't really like
the tenor voice, only just starting to explore vocal music.  (I have a disc
of Schubert lieder sung by Ian Bostridge, EMI 7243 5 56347 2 6, that I do
like).  I was wondering if anyone has heard the Naxos recording and what
his or her opinion is of it.

Thanks.

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, NJ, USA