From:
Jason Tiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:12:00 -0800
Hi, Gerhard,:)

Gerhard Griesel wrote:

> As a layman I battle to distinguish between the sounds of the
> English horn, oboe and clarinet.

> For example, what is the instrument playing the solo in the
> beginning of the third movement (Andante con moto) of Tchaikovsky's
> Manfred Symphony?

While I've not listened to the symphony the entire way through, it sure
sounds like an oboe in the introductory sample on Amazon's page for the
Mariss Janssons recording.

My ad-hoc, purely subjective take on these instruments:

Oboe: vibrato, soloing all the time, bright
Clarinet: no vibrato, fewer solos, lower range
English horn: more mellow, lower range, very rare, like an oboe with
a headcold

---Jason