From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:17:57 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>I liked Sterling's proposal of a HIP series and an avant-garde series.
>Bring on Gardiner and Boulez!  No audience for it? There are a train-load
>of HIP folks who would love it, and the avant-garde music could be
>gradually entered into the orchestra's repertoire.

I'm not a big HIP guy, which is not the issue here.  Boston does have
the Handel and Haydn Society with Christopher Hogwood (I think he's still
there).  I've never been to one of their concerts, but I think they still
do mainly HIP concerts.  (Am I wrong?) Is this enough? I don't know.  Nor
do I know how well their concerts do.  They've been here a long time, so
I assume very well.  There is also a Baroque music festival, and the one
Monteverdi Opera I went to was very well attended.  My only point in
raising this is that there is already a laboratory in Boston for studying
the above assertion.  There's also a Musica Viva that specializes in new
music.  How well do they do? The BSO could look into these things, see what
kind of a market is out there for this kind of programming.

Roger Hecht