From:
Peter Herwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:08:06 -0700
I am an experimental filmmaker and painter and find there are similar
issues in the reception of my work.  Those who have an agenda that film
should be a certain way or beautiful to their way of seeing will not
enjoy them wheareas those who are more open can see the articulation
of abstract film that I am making.  Similarly, in music if the listener
has an agenda that music should be tonal or beautiful to their ears
will miss much of contemporary music which is about articulation and
expressiveness not necessarily beauty per se.  I find Schoenberg, Berg,
Webern, Feldman, Cage and many others to be beautiful in their own way
but above all to be seeking to expand the boundaries of what music can
be.

Peter Herwitz