From:
Robin Mitchell-Boyask <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:21:16 -0700
As the originator of this thread, it's fascinating to me that I started it
as an account of Sawallisch as an orchestra builder, a highly underrated
quality in anyone who does it well, and it's turned into yet another
discussion of recordings.

The whole point of the article is that Sawallisch himself has evolved,
and that his choice in musicians here has been almost uncanny (I speak
from extended experience before and after he went to work here).  It's
thus doubly unfortunate that the recording situation is now as it is
(well, I've stopped believing in recordings anyway %)

I hope I don't sound cranky.  I appreciate when WS's qualities are
appreciated (though I find the complaints about his Strauss nothing short
of baffling!)

Robin Mitchell-Boyask
Temple University
Philadelphia PA 19122