From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 11:13:51 -0700
I think the classical music is one of the greatest keep secrets in the
world.  Many people would love it if they could just get exposed to it.
But I think that it is important what one hears 1st since some of it can
be a turn off if you are not prepared.  My 1st exposure was in college.
I heard the Grieg A min and was blown away.  On the flip side of the lp
was Rach Rhap on a theme of Pag which was exciting as well.

I have a slight complaint in that our classical station plays a lot of
obscure classical music (a little flute and violin sonata by a 16 century
Spanish composer that I have never heard of) when there is so much great
music to hear.  Few people are going to be drawn into classical music by
hearing the obscure works - there's a good reason that they are obscure.

I think we need a "top 40" type classical station that just plays the great
works to introduce the masses to classical music.  So I am going to start
a thread - Top 10 compositions to introduce classical music.  The premise
will be this "I you had to pick only 10 compositions to excite someone
about classical music what would they be?"

Bill Pirkle