From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 01:36:46 -0400
Just to be (not intentionally) annoying...  Donald Satz refers to this
work as Nielsen's first string quartet.  It's more like his 3rd or 4th,
if I'm not mistaken.  The first two that I'm aware of, never published,
are available only on a Kontrapunkt CD of early Nielsen chamber music
(that contains also a violin sonata and perhaps the only extant Nielsen
piano trio).  I do not know whether Nielsen's op.  13 was written before,
or after, his op.  5, just to complicate matters even .further. ...
sigh...  (fwiw of the Nielsen quartets I've heard- namely, the mature 4-
my favorites are 1&3; 1 for a particularly favorite passage in the first
movement, 3 for overall excellence.  4 has its points- more than a few- but
disappoints, I feel, in the finale, tremendously.  But I'm open to being
convinced.  And I do consider works even as early as op.  5 mature...
heck, my favorite Nielsen song is from his op.  6 ("Sommersang")...)

I might be mistaken about any of this, mind (except for which Nielsen song
is my favorite...)

Eric Schissel
http://www.lightlink.com/schissel ICQ#7279016