From:
Roger Lebow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:08:33 -0800
I think the decision to leave the program stand without encore has more
to do with an sense of its integrality rather than union or orchestral
policy (neither of which exists, as far as I know). I was among the
guanoest of the bat-guanoistas at the Berlin PO concert, and I must say
that while an encore might not have been entirely unwelcome (though what
do you play after the finale of the Schubert "Great" C Major???), there
was no emotional need or justification for one.  I think we were waxing
guanoid because we'd been part of a singular musical experience, and
this was the way we could give something back to the players.

See you 'round,

Roger