From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:30:21 -0500
Nina Costanza wrote:

>Forgive me if this is too simplistic, as I have enjoyed the eloquent
>investigations on this topic...  but the reason art exists in my mind
>(visual, aural, movement, film) is because what is being expressed cannot
>be adequately addressed in word language.

I would agree, but for me the question is, what is it?  Is it thought
without language or are those expressions language without words.

>I equate the type of mind/brain activity used in creative works (that
>are not verbal) to dreams.  The memory of dreams can evaporate when
>words are used to describe them, even to ourselves.  I think there are
>many other ways of "thinking" such as in sports and dance that are not
>at all verbal.

Yet, you can get a decent sense of a football game by listening to a
radio broadcast of it...of course there was the Peter Schikele broadcast
of the first movement of the Beethoven 5th...done in the nature of a
sporting event.

I also wonder about dreams...did not Stravinsky say that his Octet for
Winds came to him in a dream.

Karl