From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 07:43:11 -0500
Joel Hill:

>I have this LP, and the notes do not mention that the Lebeques commissioned
>the concerto version {for two pianos and orchestra}.

I should say that I assumed they commissioned it, since I've heard nobody
else play it.

>The *implication* is that it is by GG, but the liner notes don't actually
>say this either.  The notes draw a comparison about playing the Rhapsody
>in GG's arrangement for 2 pianos and playing the concerto in the same way.

George Gershwin *wrote* it for two pianos (sans orchestra) as a working
draft.  I believe this is how he wrote almost all his orchestral music.
Then he orchestrated.  The only major concert pieces he didn't orchestrate
himself are the chamber opera Blue Monday (orch.  by Will Vodery) and
Rhapsody in Blue (orch.  by Ferde Grofe).  The notes are classic
misdirection, in my opinion designed to make you believe Gershwin is
responsible and therefore that the schlock has the composer's authority.

A propos of nothing, I should say that I was an enthusiastic Labequiste
when the team started.  Their recording of the Hindemith Sonata for 2
Pianos and the Martinu 3 Danses tcheques is one of the outstanding LPs
in my collection.

Steve Schwartz