From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 07:51:42 PDT
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>The main difference I detect between Naxos and Arte Nova is in the
>repertoire.  Naxos has rather systematically set out to record damn
>near anything imaginable whereas I find Arte Nova to be a hodge podge
>of everything from Beethoven to Schnabel to colections of Marian choral
>works.  They don't seem to have a consistent and well thought out plan
>for what will be in their catalogue.

The only significant difference I notice is the much greater volume of
Naxos releases.  I think both labels have the same basic plan: issue
super-bargain price recordings of high quality performances by low-cost
but high quality artists and groups.

In general, what's wrong with a hodge-podge approach? Yes, there are
speciality labels such as Gimmel(sp?) where you have an excellent idea of
what type of releases will be coming out next.  But for most labels, the
next batch of releases could be anything, most likely dependent on which
artists are on hand and what repertoire they want to record.  Since I have
a hodge-podge approach to my cd storage ssystem, I don't have any problem
with that approach by the record companies.  It enhances the surprise and
anticipation elements.

Don Satz