From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:52:54 +0200
Mitch writes:

>exactly ... i think .... teaching is about laying a foundation. not
>building the walls ....

Nice metaphore.  Here is another one: The teacher takes the pupil
musician or composer by the hand.  They stand in front of a mirror.
Then the fresh pupil will react like a reptile. He will see a flat shiny
screen.  Then the teacher will say to him: "Look this is A pupil, and
that's A teacher".  The pupil will see A pupil and A teacher if he's not
totally untalented, somewhat like a dog does.  Next, the teacher will
say: look, this is YOU (and ME).  If the student is a bit talented, he'll
say: Whow, I never thought about that!  He will become a monkey instead
of a dog.  If he is a big talent he will say, "No, it's just an image
of you and me".  If the teacher is a generous one, he will say: "Right
you are, and look: there are also images to be seen around us.  Would
you like me to help you articulate what you see?  "

"Jos Janssen" <[log in to unmask]>