From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:31:29 -0600
Stirling Newberry:

>Steve Schwartz wrote:
>
>>Gould is one of those American interwar and postwar musicians - along
>>with Piston, Diamond, Schuman, Sessions, Mennin, Fine, Talma, Hanson,
>>Foss, Blitzstein, Lees, Bergsma, Shapero, and Thomson - too good to lose.
>
>I would trade that entire list for keeping Ellington, Armstrong, Goodman,
>Gershwin, Coltrane, Davis and Mingus.  And I don't think I am alone in
>believing that American accomplishments in jazz out shadow American
>"classical" accomplishments during the period by a wide margin.

You are certainly not alone if your criterion is general and enduring
acclaim.  The fact is, almost all of the classical composers Steve mentions
have always been in the shadows and, aside from Blitzstein, the most famous
among them were known more for administration (Schuman) or criticism
(Thomson) than for their music.  No one would challenge the musical
achievements of the jazz musicians you mention, I am sure.  As for trading
in the classical ones--some of my favorite composers--let me just quote you
back to yourself:

>there are many composers who wrote only a few works that have
>real durability, but without whom concert life would be poorer.

Concert life is poorer without the music of several of these composers.  Is
it necessary to add insult to injury?

Jim Tobin