From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:34:42 -0800
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>Kevin Sutton:
>
>>NPR has a duty to serve the entire public.  Not just the high brow members
>>of this and other mailing lists.  I don't mean to lecture (and since I
>>make my entire living as a professional musician, I think that I have
>>some authority to make this statement), but music simply doesn't interest
>>everyone.  There is a diversity of opinions, a diversity of talents and
>>interests, and several million paying customers to entertain (yes, that's
>>what I said, entertain) in the listenership of National Public Radio.
>
>No disagreement there-

Well, I'm not a citizen but PBS has no compunctipon about asking Canadians
for money, so (I used to subsrcibe until I noticed that the *only* time
KCTS Seattle noticed that Canada was next door was during pledge
drives).....

Why does NPR have a duty to serve the "entire public"?  Much of the
public (presumably) is already being served by commercial radio, should
NPR compete?

Does PBS really need Austin City Lilmits?

Does *anyone* need Charlie Rose....

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>