From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:56:17 +1100
Karl Miller's radio listening:

>...has to be something other than what I can find on CD or the
>broadcast of a CD that has me curious, but not so curious as to buy
>it without a listen.

That pretty much sums up my feelings.  The station I use puts out a monthly
program guide which makes planning easy, and the programs that are not
covered such as the 1am to 6am slot are sometimes posted on its web site.
Sometimes, if the night program is being presented by someone I know often
plays music I'll be interested in, I record the whole program on videotape
and check the website to see what I might like to hear.  This may sound
like overkill, but it turns up a few nuggets.  Naturally, Murphy's Law
applies.  The other night, I turned the radio on at some ungodly hour and
was in time to hear about the last half of Marc-Andre Hamelin's Busoni
concerto but I wasn't recording it.  So it goes.

Don Satz:

>I've always found that playing the music I choose is better than
>listening to the music chosen by others.

I agree with Don, but if you choose to listen to something on the radio,
the only constraint is the time it's being broadcast.  I've found it an
excellent way of hearing different versions of works I know or roadtesting
a CD for possible purchase.

Scott Lasky wrote of a station whose:

>most recent Cardinal sin has been the interrupting between
>movements of large symphonies with Ads.

The Philistines and the barbarians are indeed at the gates.  Man the
barricades!!  Regrettably, I would think the eventual effect of this sort
of nonsense is that serious listeners will be quickly turned off and the
station will either go belly up or become yet another easy listening
outlet.

Richard Pennycuick