From:
Lee Hester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 01:52:14 -0500
I have recently inherited some records and reel-to-reel tapes.  Most of
them are either impeccably labeled, or are works that I am well familiar
with.  However, there is one tape of music labeled only "Edward Strauss
conducts his Orchestra Johann Strauss Waltzes" that has no track list
and I really do not know waltzes at all.

So, I am enlisting your aid.  There are actually almost 30 files with a
total size of about 15 megabytes.  I have posted them online accessible
via the following link, where you'll have to click on "Waltzes" to get
into the files.

   [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

Subsequently clicking on any of the files should launch a player and
play the file.  If you do a "right click" on the file you have an
opportunity to copy the file off.

Each of these is a sample at low fidelity of 20 seconds or so from the
beginning and end of each of the first 15 tracks that I could find as I
digitized the music for inclusion in my digital music library.  In some
cases I may have missed a track and run two pieces together, or alternately
I may have accidently seperated a single work into two tracks at a pause
in the music...  so be aware that I may have made these mistakes.

In each case, if you could tell me what piece(s) are in each track and
whether the track appears complete frm the sample I would appreciate it!

Indeed, I will award 1000 points for each of these that you are the first
to correctly identify (just like "Whose Line is It Anyway?").  I will
assume that any track identified and either affirmed by others or at
least not challenged by otehrs is correct....  based on the incredible
musical knowledge of this gathering.

If this works well, I will post another 13 or so tracks from the same
tape in a day or two.  At the end, not only will everyone be able to
keep their points, but the person with the most points will be forever
known as the Waltz Knowledge King (or Queen...)

Oh, and yes, I actually do recognize the most famous track in this group,
but I left it in just for grins anyway.  However, I must shamefully admit
that I do not know the names of ANY of the others.  I do a lot better
on Bach....

Thanks and happy pointmaking,
Lee