From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 11:28:48 PST
Susan Grisanti wrote:

>Why is classical repertoire only producing a few 'crowd pleasers' and why
>are those usually pieces that don't excite the performers very much at
>all?

I suppose we should consider it fortunate that *any* classical pieces
please the general public, given the low popularity of classical music.
Yes, pieces like Pachelbel's Canon do not generate much excitement, but
wouldn't that be due to their over-familiar status? I even got tired of
Mozart's 23rd piano concerto because I played it to death a few years ago.

Don Satz