From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 01:26:44 -0800
Alan Moss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The only James Levine rehearsal I've attended so far was quite disgraceful.
>He arrived late, so late, in fact, that someone had to step in and
>start the rehearsal without him.  When he did turn up he gestured to the
>conductor to continue, and sat down with his towel over his shoulder, and
>just listened till the end.  He then spoke a few words to the rehearsal
>conductor, sotto voce, said a general thank you very much, and departed.
>No-one had the faintest idea what he wanted or how he intended to indicate
>it.  The concert, needless to say, was uninspired.  The maestro, needless
>to say, received a huge ovation.

To snesk in backstage the days before the concert is a good thing.  I don't
know for Levine but I have experienced that many conductors do nothing more
then drive the piece through.  And thats people with names!  Then I go with
Tate and Dorati who spend a lot of work at their repetitions and know what
they want (theyre very talkative).  Pity just that they never got Levines
payment.  Such conductors seem to have worked harder and more inspired for
it than Levine.  Thereto Levine is fat and ugly.  I think I had shouted
"booh".

Mats Norrman