From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 23:00:31 -0800
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I too believe that a score should carry great weight.  However, it's
>arrogance of another kind to justify repeats or not repeats on the basis
>of knowing the composer's intention.  One should be able to justify one's
>decision on the musical implications of the score.

The "repeat" sign is not a mere implication.  It says unambiguously to
repeat the passage.  You even admitted as much in the following exchange:

>In spite of what may have been attributed to me, I don't hold an
>anything-goes approach.  Just because it's done doesn't mean it should
>be done.  On the other hand, I can't tell whether it should be done
>until I hear it.  All experiments do not succeed, but failure should
>not discourage experiment.

Like nitroglycerine in a blender, not all experiments should be done just
for the sake of doing them.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic