From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 14:41:49 -0700
Joyce Maier wrote:

>Amusing, all these different feelings about Napoleon and the Emperor
>concerto.  For it's not true that Beethoven wrote if for Napoleon.
>He wrote only one piece for the man: the Eroica.  The nickname of the
>concerto is the result of an outcry of a French officer who attended a
>performance and suddenly sprang up and shouted "Mais c'est l'Empereur!"
>Beethoven himself never said a word about a connection between the
>concerto and the tyrant.

That is amazing.  I was under the impression that Beethoven actually tore
up the dedication page and rededicated it to Archduke Rudolph after hearing
that Napoleon had crowned himself Emperor of France.  Am I thinking about
the 3rd symphony or is this story a fable.

My apologies to the list..

Bill Pirkle ...