From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 09:49:19 +0200
It strikes me as rather strange that the criticism of Muti, most especially
as an opera conductor, seems to stem from North America when, apart from a
not very satisfactory Pagliacci with Pavarotti (a concert performance in
Philadelphia), nearly all his operatic activity is confined to Europe!
Can these negative views all stem solely from his stay in Philadelphia?

He'd not be my first choice for a dinner invitation but I would venture to
suggest that these views are not supported either by musical evidence nor
by the musically informed public in Europe.  His most recent recording
(Manon Lescaut on DG) has been widely acclaimed over here.

John G. Deacon
Home page: www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon