From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:20:38 PDT
I've been following with interest most, if not all, of the posts on this
thread.  Arte Nova was almost immediately brought into the discussion.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Vox has been mentioned.

Last weekend, at a factory outlet mall in the Poconos, I was lucky enough
to pick up 4 single and 2 double Vox releases for under US$30!  Because
they were so cheap, I picked up more titles than I would have otherwise.
I'm listening to one now:  The Cincinnati Symphony conducted by Michael
Gielen, performing Beethoven's 3rd and Busoni's Turandot Suite and Two
Studies for "Doktor Faust," released in 1995.  Wonderful recordings!  Big,
full sound.  Lot's of energy.  I like the Beethoven very much, although
I don't know how this recording stands up to others.  I am especially
impressed by the Busoni Turandot Suite.  The music is delightful, from the
"sampled" Greensleeves to a women's chorus.  The music has a big range,
from the loud and majestic, to the quiet and sinister.  Gielen really puts
the symphony through its paces.  The Two Studies is much quieter.

I have other Vox recordings that I like very much:  a two-disc set of
Haydn's keyboard concertos and sonatas; and a two-disc set of chamber
music composed by women.

I wonder why Vox hasn't been discussed until now?

Ron Chaplin