From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:42:21 -0500
Kevin Sutton writes:

>Giuseppi Verdi: Manzoni Requiem.  Renee Fleming, soprano; Olga Borodina,
>mezzo soprano; Andrea Bocelli, tenor; Ildebrando D'Arcangelo, bass.  Kirov
>Orchestra and Chorus, Valery Gergiev, conductor.  Philips 468079.
>
>This project should cost some record label executives their jobs.  Billed
>on its cover as "The Ultimate Verdi Requiem," this disaster of a recording
>must surely have Verdi spinning in his grave.

I have no opinions on the matter, but a rather different view is given by
Richard Dyer in today's Boston Globe.  He finds much to criticize about the
performance, but is very positive about Bocelli.  I found this surprising,
since Dyer is usually rough on big reputaion stars who (in his opinion)
don't perform up to reputation.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University