From:
Alfredo B Que <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:51:29 +0800
Moderated Classical Music List wrote:

>For my first topic I'd like to talk about a superb Naxos CD I've just
>bought and which contains the BUTTERFLY LOVERS VIOLIN CONCERTO ...
>
>I would be very thankful if the list could introduced me with more
>Chinese music like that.

Re Violin Concerto, there's even a spectacular movie on the same theme done
in 1997 (in Mandarin with English  subtitles).  The concerto themes were
played a lot in snatches.

The violinist Takako Nizhizaki recorded it four times for Naxos, and
earlier for another label, which I have on lp.  She is the wife of the
Naxos president.

Also, you might like to hear The Yellow River Piano Concerto, first
commercially available with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra
accompanying Daniel Epstein on the piano. It was part of the orchestra's
tour of mainland China.

A recent recording "The Tragedy of Human Being" (HK BMG Ltd, 1995 --
74321-30647-2) features a very dramatic reading of the piano concerto plus
a number of Chinese music with prominent percussion writing.

   1.  The Five Heroes of Mt. Lang Ya
   2.  Over the Jialing River
   3.  Song of the Great Wall
   4.  Chinese Rhapsodies
   5.  My Favorite Pipa
   6.  Courageous Chinese
   7.  The Five Heroes of Mt. Lang Ya (another version)
       The Yellow River Piano Concerto
   8.  Prelude to the Song of the Yellow River Boatman
   9.  Ode to the Yellow River
   10. The Yellow River in Wrath
   11. Defend the Yellow River

Best.