From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:08:25 -0700
I came across 2 CDs worth mentioning this week.

Garrick Ohlsson, Piano on Arabesque 6724

Bartok: Studies for Piano, Op. 18
Prokofiev: Sontata No. 8 for Piano, Op. 84
Barber: Sonata for Piano, Op. 26
Webern: Variations for Piano, Op. 27

Ohlsson tackles 4 different 20th century composers extremely convincingly
(unconvincing atonal music is often...unconvincing).  I was blissfully
soaking in the Webern Variations when my roommates almost made me turn it
off (they couldn't hear the TV.  And I thought Webern was dissonant...).
The Bartok pieces are very very short and cool in typical fashion.  The
work I did not know was the Barber Sonata so I have no point of reference,
but I liked it very much; but it certainly ain't no "Adagio".  Avoid this
release if you don't like dissonance.  Jump on this one if you like 20th
century piano, but not the kind where they pound on the keys and stroke the
strings.

If you do like the latter kind of thing, as I do, I just got a CD of
Henry Cowell Piano Music (New Albion CD 103), recorded at a Berkeley
Henry Cowell Tribute concert in '97.  There are 4 pianists:  Chris Brown,
Sorrel Hays, Joseph Kubera, Sarah Cahill.  The works range from juvenalia
to unpublished.  Stunning.  Strumming.  Pounding.  Wafting.  ("Nine Ings"
is one of the works included.) HEAR the influence of a genuinely creative
American composer.  FEEL the pounding cluster chords.  WITNESS your friends
leaving the room.

Mmmmm....yummy.  Eat it up.  I love it.

Bob K.