From:
Bob Yoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:27:27 PDT
I almost worked in the programming division of a very reputable radio
station.  They all seemed to be competant so when I got the job, I
confronted them about this tactic in programming.  Well, they said that
according to their marketing research, a vast majority of the listeners
tune in while at work and such.  Its function to them is background music,
something unintrusive.  I would agree that it might be a little difficult
to work with Stravinsky blasting on the radio, but of course this is just
an extreme example to illustrate their point.  They get more adventurous
on weekends and evenings.  It works for them.  They have a large listening
audience with strong sponsorship.

Bob Yoon