From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:03:01 -0700
The Opus Arte DVD of Adams' "Doctor Atomic" is out, the San Francisco
cast performing in Holland, with the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra
and Chorus.

After seeing the opera four times, and having listened to various
recordings, I was not planning to watch the DVD through, just wanted to
make a quick check on sound quality and see how they handled subtitles.

Imagine my surprise when I "came to" at the end of Act I (and Disc 1) -
being once again glued to the piece.  I still have a problem with Act
II (http://theoperacritic.com/tocreviews.php?review=jgsfoatomic1005.htm),
but I highly recommend the DVD - Opus Arte #OA-0998-D.  "Batter my heart
three-person'd God" is among peak experiences of all opera, giving Gerald
Finley his place in the pantheon of singers; the Adams-Sellars juxtaposition
of that sublime aria with Gen.  Groves' litany over his intake of calories
is seemingly pointless, certainly weird, but somehow it all really works.

Janos Gereben
www.sfcv.org