From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:17:52 -0400
To Mr. McGill (and everyone else)- if you mean the ASV recording of
Stanford's piano trio no. 2- note the no. 2. And that there's a no. 1 as
yet unrecorded.

To those asking what recorded version of Stanford sym. 4 Mimi Ezust was
enthusing over, frankly, if there .have. been any versions other than
Handley's, I'm not aware of them, though Naxos claims they will do a
Stanford symphony cycle in due course. Bax's 4th symphony's been recorded
multiple times, but not, to my knowledge, Stanford's. (Even though when
Mahler brought a Stanford symphony to the US, to my knowledge, it was the
4th, and not the since more famous 3rd.)

I agree with Mimi: the 4th is a really, really good piece.  Looking
forward to the Naxos recording- even though I rate the Handley, 2 good
recordings are generally (from my point of view) better than one...

I'd also like (hello?:) some recordings of Stanford's string quartets.
#s 2 and 3 especially are really, really fine works.  But I am not holding
my breath.  Just because they are less expensive to put together than
orchestral works doesn't mean that I can expect they'll ever be recorded,
alas, even though they're at least nearly equal in quality.  (I confirmed
for myself that Fuchs' 3rd string quartet was equal in quality- which is to
say, stunningly high- to his nearly contemporaneous 3rd symphony recently
by giving it, in a way, perhaps its first performance in decades, but I
don't expect .it.  to get any commercial recording either.  *Shrug* *Sigh*)

-Eric Schissel
http://www.lightlink.com/schissel ICQ#7279016