From:
Billy Kitson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:11:05 +1000
Mark Seeley wrote:

>I never considered Brahms and Bruckner close together until I just happened
>to listen to each of their fourth symphonies over the long week-end.  The
>slow Allegro in Brahms Fourth approaches the transcendent, solemn forces
>that Bruckner seems to evoke.  I still don't think Brahms and Bruckner
>were twin sons of different mothers, but they seemingly come pretty close
>in these two symphonic works.

In the "Unbelievable" War in Vienna over Bruckner and Wagner - weren't
Brahms and Bruckner on the same side?? My memory fails me = too old @ 59!!

Bill(Y).

 [Bruckner was considered firmly in the Wagner camp.  Bruckner's third
 symphony was referred to as the "Wagner" symphony by Bruckner himself.
 -Dave]