From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:43:09 PDT
Deryk Barker wrote concerning the Sibelius symphonies:

>Berglund I find unconvincing in the earlier symphonies, but picking
>up at around No.4 (although I don't care for his 5) 6 & 7 are very
>good.  This pretty much applies to both EMI cycles, don't know the
>Finlandia (?).

I have the Finlandia set and like it very much.  These are not heavy
peformances and might seem underpowered to some folks.  I would have liked
a more "icy" interpretation, but that's my only regret about the set.

I don't know the EMI versions at all.  Any listmembers familiar with both
sources?

Don Satz