From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:14:28 PDT
I've read with interest the situation with the BSO probably because I was
raised in the Boston area.  I have the following comments:

1.  Boston is much more than an "intellectual" city.  It is multi-cultural,
and has a large number of "working stiffs" just like any other city.  I'm
sure that the large majority of citizens in Boston, Cambridge, and
surrounding areas are not intellectual in any sense of the word.  There's
even a large segment that hates the Kennedys.

2.  Ozawa has reduced the BSO to an orchestra which is no longer one of
the world's finest.  Its reputation has taken a nose-dive, and it has no
viability in the world of recordings (the world where most music lovers
would hear the BSO).

3.  The BSO needs a heavy "shot in the arm." A Zinman or some other names
mentioned have nothing with which to provide this "shot." I am not talking
about a conductor's overall level of performance, but characteristics of
a conductor (including particular reputation) which would have tongues
wagging.

4.  I think the BSO needs a "name" conductor of some controversy.  That
would immediately signal that "changes are in the air" and would be watched
closely.  I have no idea if any "name" conductors would entertain the BSO
position, but it would be strongly uplifting to hear that a Gardiner or
Harnoncourt or Herreweghe or Norrington or female had been selected.

5.  Business as usual for the BSO has to shut down.  Revamping extensively
is in order.  It won't happen? The "traditionalists" won't allow it? That's
the BSO's problem.  I can only point the way.

6.  Having prospective candidates provide performance auditions of Haydn
or any other composer is one odd notion.  That would be a good idea if the
candidates had just graduated from school, but I assume that the BSO would,
at a minimum, pick a conductor who has already proven his/her mettle.  But,
if we're going to place a big emphasis on Haydn, just select Colin Davis
and be done with it.

7.  How much time it takes for a selection to be made will tell much.
If many months go by, you can be confident that the selectee will be the
wrong one.  This isn't rocket science.  Hunker down, make the phone calls,
do some interviewing, and make a pick.  A few weeks should take care of it
all.  It amazes me how it seems to take some folks "forever" to make a job
selection.  They have all kinds of rationalizations to explain the delay,
but it all comes down to "fear".

Don Satz