From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:28:41 -0700
William Jenks writes:

>I see nothing wrong with attractive musicians taking advantage of
>that attribute on their covers, either.

to which responds Alan Lynn:

>I assume this is in reference to the recent trend for young female
>violinists to be photographed topless and/or completely naked with only
>their instruments covering their *G strings*, a la Austin Powers.

I'm not sure that was the point...but I do think yours is a good one:

>While as a redblooded American male I certainly don't object to beautiful
>women, there seems to be something inherently wrong about this sort of
>display on the cover of an album of Bach partitas...

Agreed.  I also (for better or worse) am a red-blooded American male, as it
were, and this sort of thing drives me absolutely nuts.  It makes me less
likely than ever to be interested in the music, or a new artist; it makes
me think that the product per se is not up-to-par and that they must use
sex to sell CM.  Vanessa-Mae in a wet T-shirt...? No...thanks, though.

I am -all for- a stunning pic of Anne-Sophie.  But she would never appear
wearing only her violin.

Can we imagine a publicity photo ol' HvK in a bathing suit, or wrapped in
a flag? Or Furtwa:ngler? Knappertsbusch? *shudder*...

Conversely, I have to admit that, once in a while, my over-reaction to
such sultry photos has led me to dismiss a worthwhile artist(s) without
a listen.  Such are the pitfalls...

Bob K.