From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:12:52 -0600
Edgar Beach Jr.:

>Yes thank you, it does help.  Yet it doesn't specifically address my
>question which asked for an example.  I know now that "intellectual"
>music, in quotes or not, appeals to the mind and that there is music
>that appeals to the spirit (the soul maybe).  What I would like to know
>(if it can be answered): Can you or anyone give me a specific example
>of a piece of music that appeals solely to the mind?

Actually, the way "mind" and "spirit" seemed to be used here, any music
that doesn't appeal at all to one's spirit must, by default, appeal to
the mind, whether one's personal mind or somebody else's.  For example,
I can't imagine anybody (and this speaks to the limitations of my
imagination) being moved by Xenakis's Thallein, although I can well
imagine someone responding to the statistical manipulations of the notes
as "neat" and "keen." On the other hand, just to prove I'm not a moldy
fig, I am very much moved by Stockhausen's Gesang der Junglinge.  Why
one and not the other, I have no idea.

Steve Schwartz