From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 22:56:10 -0400
Ray Stamford wrote:

>IMHO this anecdote should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. Peter
>Schickele, whose pseudonym is PDQ Bach, is well known to Radio 3 listeners
>in Britain particularly on April Fools Day.

I am, of course, familiar w/ the lighter side of Peter Schickele and
have enjoyed my share of laughs listening to some of his PDQ recordings.
I suspect, however, that you are aware that he is also a serious composer
and that his program, "Schickele Mix" is Schickele serious rather than
Schickele frivolous.  The program in question explained transposing
instruments and how their scores are written in different keys from the
ones they might actually be playing.  It was in this context that the
Stravinsky story came up.

Walter Meyer