From:
Tedd A Jander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:42:31 -0500
Jon Johanning wrote:

>How do list members feel on this issue? I would especially like to hear
>what non-performers think -- do you tend to look down on a pianist, singer,
>or other soloist who performs from the score? Is it time to say farewell
>to this particular tradition in this tradition-happy art?

I am vocal performer still at the collegiate level.  For recitals and
juries we are required to sing the music for memory, which isn't difficult
when you only have five to six pieces to memorize over a four month period.
I have yet to perform at the professional level as a soloist, so I cannot
say much for solo singing beyond the collegiate level.

But I am greatly involved with choral music.  A lot of mixed feelings
exist about whether choirs should totally memorize their music or not
within the choral area.  For major works it is understandable to have the
score available as a reference point, but not to be totally buried in the
score.  The college I attend has had a lot of problems using the music for
performances.  No one has really taught the younger students how, if using
the score, to hold it and to keep the eyes on the conductor.  One thing
that was a horrible performance experience, in my opinion, was that the
director told the choir for the last concert, "If you have the music
memorized don't use the folders/music, and if you don't have the music
memorized then use the folders/music." From an etiquette/stage presence
issue this idea made the choir look terrible with some holding music and
some not.  I am all for trying to memorize the music because someone always
has his or her head buried in the folder and they loose focus.  But if a
dozen people are going to use the music, then I really think the rest of
the choir should hold the music at least to improve the look of the
ensemble (or they better work their butts off to get the music memorized
by concert time).

My last example is from a concert I went to at the Sheldon Concert Hall in
St. Louis, Missouri.  The concert was from April 5, 1998 and the ensemble
was Theatre of Voices.  Not only did they use music, but they also used
stands, which I did not like at all.  I have seen other concerts at this
venue where the singers use music, but no stands.  These performances were
much more open and expressive to the audience, whereas the Theatre of
Voices concert lacked the intimacy because the stands closed them off.
The music was wonderful, but I felt like I was at a rehearsal, not a
performance.

tedd
http://members.tripod.com/~teddj_music