From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 21:47:29 -0500
Back on Sep. 22, Mikael Rasmusson suggested that Procol Harum's Whiter
Shade of Pale "sounds like an introduction to a Bach cantata."  That was
not the first time that a lister had cited WSoP as being classically
derived, but I could not find similar questions about WSoP in the archives.

In the November issue of the BBC Music Magazine, Adam Sweeting interviews
Pete Waterman, who is billed as "one of the most successful and prolific
writers and producers in British pop over the last 20 years."  Waterman
maintains that WSoP is derived from Air on the G String, for what that's
worth.  I'm chagrined to admit that I am not familiar with this famous
Bach piece, at least to the best of my knowledge.

And I do mean "for what that's worth," as Waterman claims that the Beatles'
Because is a crib from Moonlight Sonata.  I don't see that at all.

Mitch Friedfeld