From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 21:04:17 -0300
Robert Peters:

>I dont think that it is censureship to produce an opera or a play.
>Directors have to deal with the antisemitic tendencies in The Merchant of
>Venice for example.  The play is art, but the tendencies are there (I am
>NOT saying that the play is antisemic as a whole), and it is the directors
>duty to give a comment on it.  Just to show the opera as it was, is and
>will be according the libretto would be a terrible bore and not worth the
>money.  I want to know what Director X has to say about Carmen.  I can read
>the libretto at home.

This sounds a little hypocritical, because, in this case, "to deal
with these tendencies" doesn't means to show something new, but to hide
something "ugly" --oh, yes, I have such a good feelings that I will not
let anybody to see that work as it really is!--.  That's censureship, and
censureship is a sort of lie.  I want to know too what X has to say about
Carmen, but I don't want to know what does he has to hide about Carmen.

PS: If you think that a production of "Magic Flute" showing the real
libretto is "a terrible bore and noth worth the money"...well, sorry for
you.

Pablo Massa