From:
Edson Tadeu Ortolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 02:00:00 CHARSET="ISO-8859-1"
I only know the Islamic-arabian ethnic and religious music.  I already
heard also pop music of Lebanon and of Egypt, with western influence
(orchestration and even harmonization) beside the melismatic microtones
and regional rhythms, but I don't remember the singers or composers.

There is an Islamic Classic Music with pieces destined to the ancients
courts.  They are generally marches, dances, court ritual music and
table/feast music.  Its flourish period was during the centuries 9 and 12,
time that lived two big theoretical of the music:  Al Farabi and Ibn Sina.
Due to its historical and cultural context, this music was not developed
like the western way.

We can remind, however, its influence in the Western Classical music:
"Sheherazade " by Rimsky-Korsakov is a good example.

An excellent book that dedicates a chapter to the Islamic music is:
"MUSIC CULTURES OF THE PACIFIC, NEAR EAST AND ASIA" - William Malm /
Prentice Hall (1977)

Edson Tadeu Ortolan