From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:27:38 PDT
A recent posting raised in my mind the subject of what list members would
like to see in a post recommending/reviewing a particular recording so that
maximum benefit can be derived from the posting.  For my part, I try to
provide information that will help the reader, but I naturally see this
from my perspective.  So, I thought that some discussion on the matter
might be beneficial.

Here's what I like to see in a review:

1.  Conciseness - It's easy to lose interest/concentration when the review
is very long, particularly if the works involved don't immediately appeal.
Also, I tune out on long-winded posts.

2.  Preferences of Poster - It helps when the poster comments on his/her
stylistic preferences for the work and/or for the applicable genre.

3.  Alternatives - Providing opinions of alternative versions always helps
in determining whether to purchase the subject recording.  I'm not talking
about the entire discography, but just those versions the poster is
familiar with.

4.  Label Identification - Now and then, the poster does not identify the
label of the recording.  It's easy to identify but also easy to forget to
include.

Don Satz