From:
Ernest Smart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:51:49 +0000
Lazar Berman was incomparable in Liszt.  I met a pupil of his some years
ago who told me that in the music room the only ornament was a bust of
Liszt.  When people argue with me about beauty and delicacy in decorations
at speed, I play them Berman in the Tarantella from 'Annees...'.  They
are invariably shocked into silence., usually followed by comments like
"I never dreamed anyone could play it like that!"

Ernie